[Cyberduck-trac] [Cyberduck] #689: Microsoft FTP server, -A, and "500 'EPRT |1|[IP address|[high port number|': command not understood

Cyberduck trac at trac.cyberduck.ch
Fri May 18 23:47:55 CEST 2007

#689: Microsoft FTP server, -A, and "500 'EPRT |1|[IP address|[high port
number|': command not understood
--------------------------------+-------------------------------------------
 Reporter:  pfurbacher at mac.com  |        Owner:  dkocher
     Type:  defect              |       Status:  new
Changes (by dkocher):

  * component:  core => ftp

Old description:

> I've encountered a situation where a site is apparently running a
> Microsoft FTP server and the only way to get in is to (a) use the -A
> option ***and*** (b) completely disable my firewall.  The reason is the
> FTP server uses some high-numbered port in a random fashion, purportedly
> in the name of "security".  (Microsoft's idea of security is to hide
> something somewhere thinking that it won't be found).
>
> Is there anything you can do to enhance Cyberduck to avoid disabling the
> firewall?!
>
> Thanks.
>
> Here's the output I'm getting from that server  (I have obfuscated
> private info about the server
> and other things below because it's private stuff):
>
> Last login: Fri Aug 11 21:49:48 on console
> Welcome to Darwin!
> iMac:~ pf$ ftp -A www.xxxxx.com
> Connected to www.xxxxx.com.
> 220-Microsoft FTP Service
> 220 Welcome to UUUUU-WWW FTP Site.
> Name (www.xxxxx.com:pf): [omitted]
> 331 Password required for [omitted].
> Password: 230-In order to maintain space on this site, please keep in
> mind that directories and files will be purged regulary.
>     Thank you --the Team.
> 230 User xxxxx logged in.
> Remote system type is Windows_NT.
> ftp> bin
> 200 Type set to I.
> ftp> dir
> 500 'EPRT |1|11.222.333.228|52969|': command not understood

New description:

 I've encountered a situation where a site is apparently running a
 Microsoft FTP server and the only way to get in is to (a) use the -A
 option ***and*** (b) completely disable my firewall.  The reason is the
 FTP server uses some high-numbered port in a random fashion, purportedly
 in the name of "security".  (Microsoft's idea of security is to hide
 something somewhere thinking that it won't be found).

 Is there anything you can do to enhance Cyberduck to avoid disabling the
 firewall?!

 Thanks.

 Here's the output I'm getting from that server  (I have obfuscated private
 info about the server
 and other things below because it's private stuff):

 {{{
 Last login: Fri Aug 11 21:49:48 on console
 Welcome to Darwin!
 iMac:~ pf$ ftp -A www.xxxxx.com
 Connected to www.xxxxx.com.
 220-Microsoft FTP Service
 220 Welcome to UUUUU-WWW FTP Site.
 Name (www.xxxxx.com:pf): [omitted]
 331 Password required for [omitted].
 Password: 230-In order to maintain space on this site, please keep in mind
 that directories and files will be purged regulary.
     Thank you --the Team.
 230 User xxxxx logged in.
 Remote system type is Windows_NT.
 ftp> bin
 200 Type set to I.
 ftp> dir
 500 'EPRT |1|11.222.333.228|52969|': command not understood
 }}}

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.cyberduck.ch/ticket/689#comment:1>
Cyberduck <http://cyberduck.ch>