[Cyberduck-trac] [Cyberduck] #5586: UnsupportedClassVersionError

Cyberduck trac at trac.cyberduck.ch
Thu Dec 23 13:48:19 CET 2010

#5586: UnsupportedClassVersionError
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Reporter:  https://www.google.com/accounts/o8/id?id=aitoawmzjwsjlt1dqmrmsn6ss6yutv2n5wdixhw  |        Owner:
        Type:  defect                                                                            |       Status:  reopened
Architecture:  Intel                                                                             |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

Comment (by jnd):

 Status of Cyberduck on my Intel Core 2 Duo Mac OS X 10.6.5 (build 10H574)
 with Java 1.6 and 1.5 both installed:
 * Won't launch with 1.6.0_22-b04-307 x86_64: Application Launcher skips
 over the 64-bit architecture.
 * Won't launch with 1.5.0_24 x86_64: Application Launcher skips over the
 64-bit architecture.
 * Won't launch with 1.5.0_24 i386: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
 Bad version number in .class file
 * Launches with 1.6.0_22-b04-307 i386: success.

 Therefore, Cyberduck users must have Java 6 32-bit at a higher priority
 than Java 5 32-bit.

 Early on, I changed LSArchitecturePriority to put x86_64 highest. But it
 didn't fix the problem because the Application Launcher skips past all
 64-bit Java versions when launching Cyberduck.

 At the moment, I've reverted to stock-standard Cyberduck 3.8.1 and it's
 working fine as long as Java 6 i386 has a higher priority than Java 5 in
 com.apple.java.JavaPreferences.*.plist

 Maybe there's some architecture problem in the native loader, causing both
 the skipping of 64-bit ''and'' the UnsupportedClassVersionError? Some of
 Cyberduck's bundled Java libraries have class versions as low as 45.3.
 Maybe there is some dependency that is incompatible with the 64-bit
 runtime? But that still wouldn't explain the UnsupportedClassVersionError!
 Could it be an issue with Cyberduck's bundled Application Stub
 Cyberduck.app/Contents/MacOS/Cyberduck??

 > I run it successfully on a Java 5 VM/PPC

 Interesting. I also checked the .class versions during my initial
 investigation, and there's nothing higher than 49.0 (Java 1.5). I remain
 mystified about the root cause of the UnsupportedClassVersionError!

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.cyberduck.ch/ticket/5586#comment:10>
Cyberduck <http://cyberduck.ch>