[Cyberduck-trac] [Cyberduck] #6565: Anonymous sftp connection from browser that fails can't be converted to authenticated connection

Cyberduck trac at trac.cyberduck.ch
Wed Feb 29 00:36:21 CET 2012

#6565: Anonymous sftp connection from browser that fails can't be converted to
authenticated connection
----------------------------+-------------------
    Reporter:  gorgonzilla  |      Owner:
        Type:  defect       |     Status:  new
   Component:  core         |    Version:  4.2.1
    Severity:  normal       |   Keywords:
Architecture:               |   Platform:
----------------------------+-------------------
 First off, I have no problem connecting to the server in question with
 Cyberduck when done in the normal way, e.g. clicking on "Open Connection"
 or a bookmark.

 Here's the problem, though.  When I click in my browser on an SFTP link
 that doesn't include username, e.g.
 sftp://some.server.com/test/dir3/junk.dat, first Cyberduck tries an
 anonymous connection and fails, which is fine.  However, next I uncheck
 the "Anonymous Login" checkbox, enter my credentials, and click Login.
 Even though they are correct, Cyberduck reopens the dialog, reporting
 "Login failed".  As mentioned, I have no problems directly connecting to
 this server using the same credentials with Cyberduck, e.g. I have a
 bookmark established for this server/user combination, which always works.

 The end result is that if a web page references a long, complicated
 anonymous sftp url, there is no easy way to get Cyberduck to download the
 file if I have to authenticate first.  I can't even copy the path
 information out of the url and punch that into a textbox in Cyberduck.
 The "Go to folder" command is helpful, but what if, as in my case, there
 may be hundreds of files with long file names in the directory?

 It is also kind of annoying but perhaps understandable that even if I have
 an authenticated connection to the server "open" in Cyberduck, and the web
 browser hands off an anonymous url request to Cyberduck, Cyberduck doesn't
 upgrade the request from anonymous to authenticated automatically, or at
 least ask me.

--
Ticket URL: <http://trac.cyberduck.ch/ticket/6565>
Cyberduck <http://cyberduck.ch>