[Cyberduck-trac] [Cyberduck] #8385: Usability bug: Trainling slash in server name screws up custom ports for sftp

Cyberduck trac at trac.cyberduck.io
Tue Dec 2 10:22:51 UTC 2014

#8385: Usability bug: Trainling slash in server name screws up custom ports for
sftp
---------------------------------+---------------------
    Reporter:  christian plessl  |      Owner:  dkocher
        Type:  enhancement       |     Status:  new
   Component:  interface         |    Version:  4.6
    Severity:  normal            |   Keywords:
Architecture:                    |   Platform:
---------------------------------+---------------------
 I stumbled over the following problem:

 When trying to open an sftp connection to server "myserver.example.com/"
 and port "33333" in the "Open Connection" panel, Cyberduck wrongly infers
 that the URL for the server is
 sftp://username@myserver.example.com/:33333/

 I know the server name should't have the trailing slash in the first
 place, so one could blame the user. But I think this should be considered
 as a usability bug anyway. Adding a trailing slash can happen quickly and
 the result is unexpected.

 Suggested behavior:

 - Since DNS names are not allowed to contain a forward slash, the trailing
 slash could be silently ignored (or even removed) by Cyberduck
 - Alternative: warn the user that no trailing slash should be used (I
 prefer the previous behavior)

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.cyberduck.io/ticket/8385>
Cyberduck <http://cyberduck.io>