[Cyberduck-trac] [Cyberduck] #7739: Webdav PUT to directory with guest read permission results in zero length file

Cyberduck trac at trac.cyberduck.io
Thu Jan 16 17:08:11 UTC 2014

#7739: Webdav PUT to directory with guest read permission results in zero length
file
-------------------------------+---------------------
    Reporter:  matthew bellew  |      Owner:  dkocher
        Type:  defect          |     Status:  new
   Component:  webdav          |    Version:  4.4.3
    Severity:  normal          |   Keywords:
Architecture:                  |   Platform:
-------------------------------+---------------------
 Here's the scenario.  guest has read access to a directory, but not write
 permission.  The user (matthew) has write permission.  Here is what I see
 on upload say a 100 byte file.

 HEAD /myfile.txt (guest)
 200 OK

 PUT /myfile.txt (guest, filesize=100)
 401 Unauthorized

 PUT /myfile.txt (matthew, filesize=0)
 200 OK

 The HEAD is coming from DAVSession.login(). This succeeds and PUT tries to
 use the same credentials.  When this fails, another PUT happens, but with
 0 bytes (maybe the file pointer wasn't restored?).

 My fix was to make my server return 401 on the HEAD command, but this
 requires user-agent snooping as HEAD can't return 401 to the browser.  To
 fix authentication related weirdness in other client agent's I've made my
 server always require login for OPTIONS and PROPFIND.  That has the
 advantage of only affecting WebDav clients, not normal HTTP usage.

 I think there are two issues

 a) the second PUT sends a zero-length file
 b) recommend maybe calling OPTIONS or PROPFIND in DavSession.login() since
 those are webdav specific methods rather than HEAD which the browser also
 calls.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.cyberduck.io/ticket/7739>
Cyberduck <http://cyberduck.io>