[Cyberduck-trac] [Cyberduck] #9018: Unselecting "Use system proxy settings" in Preferences provides no user interface for application-specific proxy settings

Cyberduck trac at trac.cyberduck.io
Sat Sep 19 18:15:22 UTC 2015

#9018: Unselecting "Use system proxy settings" in Preferences provides no user
interface for application-specific proxy settings
----------------------------+-------------------------
 Reporter:  ducklips        |         Owner:
     Type:  enhancement     |        Status:  reopened
 Platform:  Mac OS X 10.10  |
----------------------------+-------------------------

Comment (by dkocher):

 Replying to [comment:4 ducklips]:
 > Thinking about this a bit more this morning, the user expectation
 problem stems from the ambiguity of what the unchecked state actually maps
 to.  This could be resolved by replacing the checkbox with a radio button
 group (which is much more congruent with the way these options are
 presented in Seamonkey / Firefox / etc.) so that the states are clear.  I
 would think the labels would be:
 > * Use system proxy settings  (and put the button next to or under this
 radio button label, and disable it if this radio button wasn't selected)
 > * Direct Connection
 >
 > Just a thought...

 We use the same semantics as in ''Safari'' to change proxy settings in the
 network pane of ''System Preferences'' with the only difference that you
 can uncheck the option to ignore these settings and use a direct
 connection instead. A radio button would only make sense if the options
 are not boolean but more numerous.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.cyberduck.io/ticket/9018#comment:5>