[Cyberduck-trac] [Cyberduck] #10582: macOS: clicking on an s3://PATH/TO/FILE URL requires user to re-enter access keys every time even if access keys have been saved in ~/.aws/credentials and the Keychain

Cyberduck trac at cyberduck.io
Wed Jan 23 00:56:57 UTC 2019

#10582: macOS: clicking on an s3://PATH/TO/FILE URL requires user to re-enter
access keys every time even if access keys have been saved in
~/.aws/credentials and the Keychain
-----------------------+-------------------
    Reporter:  ehbbt   |      Owner:
        Type:  defect  |     Status:  new
   Component:  s3      |    Version:  6.9.0
    Severity:  normal  |   Keywords:
Architecture:          |   Platform:
-----------------------+-------------------
 We are looking for an app that will let our users click on s3:// URLs and
 download the file the URL points to (like s3://bucket/path/file.txt).
 CyberDuck is almost there, the problem we're running into is that when the
 user clicks on an s3:// URL, CyberDuck opens a sheet requesting the user's
 access and secret keys even after those keys have been saved in the user's
 keychain and in their ~/.aws/credentials file.  It would be much better if
 there were no additional user interaction required and CyberDuck could
 pull the access and secret keys from the credentials file or from the
 keychain, best would be from the credentials file with a profile set in
 the preferences.

 Steps to reproduce:
   Set up user's account so that they can use "aws s3 cp s3://PATH/TO/FILE
 /PATH/TO/LOCAL_DIR" to copy files from S3 to local.  Nominally this means
 setting up ~/.aws/config and ~/.aws/credentials properly.
   Run CyberDuck and have it save the user's AWS access and secret keys in
 the Keychain.
   Set up a clickable s3:// URL (like s3://PATH/TO/FILE)
   Click on the s3:// URL

 Expected Results:
   CyberDuck downloads the file the s3:// URL points to with no user
 interaction required.

 Actual Results:
   CyberDuck opens a sheet on the transfers window requesting the user's
 access and secret keys.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.cyberduck.io/ticket/10582>