[Cyberduck-trac] [Cyberduck] #11034: Cannot create archive - returns "Connection failed" dialog box that reads "Request failed."

Cyberduck trac at cyberduck.io
Fri May 22 19:24:41 UTC 2020

#11034: Cannot create archive - returns "Connection failed" dialog box that reads
"Request failed."
-------------------------+---------------------------
 Reporter:  oceanjeremy  |         Owner:  dkocher
     Type:  defect       |        Status:  closed
 Platform:               |
-------------------------+---------------------------

Comment (by oceanjeremy):

 Thanks for looking into this, I was just about to come back and close this
 ticket myself.

 Turns out the issue was my web hosting service. They wouldn't let me SSH
 into the server, and told me there was no way to archive files using their
 file manager. Which was crazy because I have a WordPress plugin that backs
 up my website, and I could see right there in its logs that it found a zip
 executable in /usr/bin/zip and was using it just fine. The tech support
 folks with the hosting service said I had to write a .sh script and run it
 with a cron job to zip or unzip anything, but it didn't work. So I spent
 half an hour scheduling cron jobs and never got that avenue to function.

 In the end I deployed my own VPS and canceled my account with the hosting
 service. Now I'm my own server admin!

 Cyberduck works perfectly now — it archives / unarchives functionally. But
 of course now I can just SSH into the server to archive anything I want
 from the command line.

 I'm never using shared hosting again.

 Long story short: if any other Cyberduck users run into this issue it's
 probably a problem with their hosting service.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.cyberduck.io/ticket/11034#comment:4>