[Cyberduck-trac] [Cyberduck] #11887: Version 8.0.0 has broken usage of .ppk auth keys. Can no longer log in to several servers that have been previously working for a long time

Cyberduck trac at cyberduck.io
Thu Oct 28 20:54:32 UTC 2021

#11887: Version 8.0.0 has broken usage of .ppk auth keys. Can no longer log in to
several servers that have been previously working for a long time
    Reporter:  tjmur     |      Owner:
        Type:  defect    |     Status:  new
   Component:  core      |    Version:  8.0.0
    Severity:  critical  |   Keywords:  bug, authentication, keys, ppk,
                         |  login
Architecture:  Intel     |   Platform:  macOS 10.14
 Upgrading to Version 8.0.0 (upgraded via Mac App Store) has broken usage
 of .ppk auth keys for me. Can no longer log in to several servers that
 have been long set up and have been working fine until the upgrade. I am
 still able to log in to these servers on other tools, using the exact same
 credentials, so the problem is definitely Cyberduck. I think the .ppk
 filetype is the issue, since my server using a different key type is still
 working fine on Cyberduck.

 It may be worth noting that my server keys are stored OUTSIDE of the
 standard .ssh/ folder. Version 8.0.0 successfully fixed my previous ticket
 (#11782) that key locations outside of the .ssh/ folder were not
 remembered properly on Mac and these keys had to be relocated upon each
 server login which was tedious. It is possible that the fix for this
 ticket could be related to this new bug.

 Login fails with message: "Login failed. Exhausted available
 authentication methods. Invalid passphrase. Please contact your web
 hosting service provider for assistance."

 Interestingly, after failing, it seems to "forget" the key location that I
 input, no matter how many times i keep reinputting it. (see screenshot)

 Many thanks if you can look into it.

--
Ticket URL: <https://trac.cyberduck.io/ticket/11887>